Cesvi is operating in Libya since 2011 as the first Italian NGO to take action, in the aftermath of the Arab Spring, through humanitarian projects in Cyrenaica and Tripolitania. Nowadays Cesvi is one of leading NGOs in Libya, very active in the coordination of various sector working groups – in particular protection ones – with a diverse donors’ portfolio and serving all vulnerable target populations. In detail, Cesvi has been implementing programs supporting mixed migrants, IDPs and vulnerable host communities through service provision. This include center-based and outreach protection activities (including child protection and GBV), warehouse management, non-food distributions, awareness-raising activities, psychosocial support, referrals to external services, cash assistance and non-formal education.
- UNHCR: Protection and lifesaving assistance to refugees and asylum seekers (Tripoli)
- UNICEF: Psychosocial support and remedial education for children of IDPs and refugees (Tripoli – MIsrata and Zwara)
- EU Trust Fund: Protection Enabling Environment and Resilience Services (Misrata)
The collaboration will start in January 2021.
The main duty station will be the Country Office in Tunis, with regular missions to Libya (Tripoli) when security conditions allow it.
Under the supervision of the Area Programme Manager Tripoli (APM), the Project Manager is responsible for the overall management of the project “Protection and Life Saving Assistance to refugees and asylum seekers in Libya”, supported by a Project Assistant and in close coordination with transversal roles supporting this project: Technical Unit, Area Administration, Operations, Security and MEAL staff.
The project: Protection and Life Saving Assistance to refugees and asylum seekers in Libya
Budget: approx. 5 million USD
Refugees and asylum seekers experience several challenges to access basic services provided by the Libyan Government and, in many cases, lack a proper and sustainable safety-net to support them. The intervention will thus focus on improving resilience, through an integrated approach in partnership with IMC. The proposed intervention will achieve the expected outcomes through the following activities:
- Protection monitoring system
- Comprehensive need based service provision
- Support to UNHCR in the logistic management of the response
S/he will be responsible for the implementation of Cesvi’s UNHCR project in Libya, managing and overseeing the quality and timely implementation of the project and its activities, and supervise the Field Coordinator.
Ensure that project activities are implemented on time and according to the approved project documentation
- Definition and implementation of project activities, ensuring that project activities are implemented on time and according the approved project document
- Monitoring of project activities and identification of necessary amendments, in accordance with the Senior Management team (SMT).
- Coordination with project partners for the activities to be implemented; drafting of MoUs to be submitted to HQ for revision (Legal dept) and authorization of signature (desk officer)
- Coordination with SMT, for project implemented in the same area to avoid duplication and overlapping and promote synergy of intervention
- Ensuring the correct filing of project documentation
- Financial management, procurement procedures and purchases related to the assigned projects, in collaboration with the local administrator and under the supervision of the HQ accountants for the correct allocation of costs.
- Management of project donors’ relations, in coordination with the HoM
- Drafting of reports and submission of documentation to the donor (through the HQ when necessary) ensuring the achievement of the expected results foreseen in the project document for the related period
- Ensure proper filling of project documents
- Management of the relation with project’s stakeholders, involving the SMT when strategic for Cesvi work in the country
- Contribute to the definition of the internal procedures manual
- Efficient management of the office, goods and means
- Coordination with HQ and SMT for visibility activities related to the assigned projects
Human Resources management
- Coordination of Cesvi staff assigning specific tasks and objectives to ensure the achievement of the goal of the project, according to MoU provisions.
- Local staff selection and training according to the project’s activities and in compliance with applicable procedures and safe recruitment procedure
- Direct coordination of project’s staff in agreement with the HoM recommendations, ensuring alignment with administrative and security matters
Implementation of Safeguarding policies –Adult at risk/Child Safeguarding/PSEA
- Ensuring compliance with Cesvi Safeguarding Policies and full implementation of Safeguarding measures within his/her area of responsibility throughout the projects activities;
- Local mapping on legal, social welfare and safeguarding/child protection arrangements and local pathways for referral;
- Preliminary assessment of potential safeguarding risks and periodical review;
- Development of project complaints and feedback mechanisms (PCFM) in accordance with Cesvi PCFM Guidelines
- Development of adequate tool for communicating with children/adults at risk and communities on safeguarding risks and safeguarding concerns reporting mechanisms
- Organization of adequate capacity building, training, mentoring and advice to project staff, partners, volunteers and other associates
- Local staff behavior appraisal with relation to ethical and relevant standards
Development of Cesvi presence in the country
- Participation in sectorial clusters, sharing periodical update with SMT
- Support in analysis and needs assessments for new projects
- Contribute to Cesvi’s strategy on the field
- In coordination with the SMT and the HQ, contribution to donors’ relations and promotion, through meeting and presentations of new donors’ acquisition, both through taking active part to forums and workshop and through direct organization of ad hoc meetings
- University degree in International Relations, Political Sciences, Social Sciences, humanitarian assistance, social work, human rights, international law and/or Cooperation and development or another appropriate field
- Solid experience in project management (over 5 years), including project cycle management,
- proposal writing, budget management and donor reporting
- Sectorial Experience in Protection and Cash programming in similar context
- HR staff management of national staff in challenging environments
- Good team leadership and conflict resolution skills, consensus team building, and adaptability
- Patience and understanding to work with and develop capacity of national staff
- Experience delivering programs to tight deadlines
- Good computer and IT skills
- Fluency in English (written and spoken)
- Ability and willingness to work in remote and isolated location with ever changing security Scenarios
- Solid capacity in managing a variety of internal and external relationships, networking and build effective partnerships with local stakeholders
- Excellent report writing and budget management skills
- Proactive and flexible approach in dealing with project tasks
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Prior experience with UNHCR
- Prior experience in Libya or working in security-sensitive environments
- Knowledge of Arabic
Cesvi has a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a child or a vulnerable adult by any of our staff, related persons or partners.
Cesvi commitment to being a safe organization begins with the staff recruitment process which includes meticulous checks, such as criminal records checks or check disclosure of previous convictions, to ensure children and vulnerable people are safeguarded and abuse is prevented. Safeguarding checks are part of the selection process performance.
Please note: due to the high number of applications we receive we are unable to provide feedback if unsuccessful at applicant stage. Only short-listed candidates will be updated on the status of their application.