Cesvi is a non-governmental, international humanitarian organization which is working in more than 20 countries throughout the world. Cesvi is dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of poverty in the world’s poorest countries through the mobilization and active participation of the recipients of aid. Cesvi has been operating in Zimbabwe since 1998 in three key areas: Environment and agriculture, Health and the Social sector. Cesvi’s activities in the agriculture sectors revolve mainly around support to rural communities to transform traditional practices shifting from subsistence farming to commercial agriculture. Cesvi has gained a strong experience in the Southern part of Zimbabwe (firstly in Beitbridge district then exporting the same approach to Mwenezi) in upgrading the existing irrigation infrastructure and linking the rejuvenated productive asset to more vital commercial production.
In partnership with SAT (Sustainable Agriculture Technologies) and MDTC (Mwenezi Development Training Centre), the current projects, funded by the European Union, aim at promoting the governance and capacity of rural communities engaged in agriculture productivity through good agriculture practices, the strengthening of business supporting organizations and the upgrade of local expertise.
The collaboration will start as soon as possible (tentatively 1st of March 2020).
The main duty station will be Harare, with regular travel to Beitbridge.
The position is open to Zimbabwean nationals ONLY and/or candidates that possess the legal permission to regularly work in Zimbabwe.
The Accountant will be responsible for providing accounting assistance in general projects implementation, management and day-to-day liaison with Partners.
S/he will provide comprehensive administrative support to the Country Administrator.
The Accountant will carry out his/her duties under the direct supervision of the Country Administrator.
Main tasks and responsibilities
The Accountant will be responsible for:
- Assist with all administrative work that incudes assisting in the preparation of Donor reports, scrutinizing all bills, preparing payment vouchers
- Keeping and updating cash and bank books for all the projects on a weekly and monthly basis
- Submitting cash and bank books to the Country Administrator on a regular basis for further update of project accounting
- Ensures that local taxes (ZIMRA, NSSA, NEC) are reconciled and paid before due dates
- Together with the Country Administrator, reconcile monthly all bank accounts
- File all payment vouchers, journals and receipts sequentially
- Assist in the requisition, follow-up and collection of bulk cash for Field Office
- Assist in the payment of workshop per-diems
- Assist auditors during Audits
- Preparing and making payments – whether autonomously or upon instruction by the Country Administrator – in cash, or bank transfer
- Makes sure all required supporting documents are attached to facilitate payments
- When necessary, running errands to pay suppliers or utilities, and to carry out other finance-related tasks
- Degree/Diploma in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or equivalent
- A minimum of 3 years working experience in Accounting/Finance or any other relevant field in a high volume environment
- High levels of competence and experience in accounting procedures and non-profit accounting
- Proficiency in MS Office Package (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and also as part of a team while managing multiple tasks effectively under minimum supervision
- Good administration experience
- Transparency: Able to build trust and contribute to informed and responsible decision making by carrying out the work of Cesvi in a transparent manner; provides clear guidance to ensure that objectives and desired measurable results are understood by members of the team
- Inclusiveness: Understands and accepts cultural diversity, and provide a tolerant, positive and supportive working environment that fosters respect for diversity, demonstrates ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds
- Professionalism: Promote the organization’s interests, objectives and values in a diligent and professional manner
- Accountability: Takes responsibility of individual and collective actions, promotes the Cesvi vision and mission
- Prior experience in the NGO sector
- Experience with online accounting system
The selection process consists of interviews, written test and references check.
The Accountant will work on a 12 months contract with an initial 3-month probation period. Interested suitably qualified and experienced persons should submit their applications with CV (maximum 4 pages), inclusive of at least 3 contactable references, and motivation letter (maximum 1 page) as a single PDF file by the 20th of February 2020.
Cesvi has a zero tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a child or a vulnerable adult by any of our staff, representatives or partners.
Cesvi commitment to being a safe organization begins with the staff recruitment process which includes meticulous checks, such as criminal records checks or check disclosure of previous convictions, to ensure children and vulnerable people are safeguarded and abuse is prevented. Safeguarding checks are part of the selection process performance.
Unfortunately, due to the high number of applications we receive we are unable to provide feedback if unsuccessful at applicant stage. Only short-listed candidates will be updated on the status of their application.